Re: IML: Disk Brake Conversion - 1961 example

Re: IML: Disk Brake Conversion - 1961 example

I had speculated for a while about trying to adapt the discs from a wrecked '87 D100 I was parting out to my '65 Imperial, as it had the same bolt pattern, but when I found that AAJ had a kit that would do the same thing I just went for that, same kit as used in the linked IML website story. It gives me the exact same bolt pattern as original (and as the rear bolt pattern) by adapting Ford pickup rotors. I'd already converted my brakes to a dual master cylinder some years ago, so I already had the lines set up and just added an adjustable valve in the rear line and of course a disc master cylinder. No matter how I adjusted and fiddled with the drums, with new shoes and newly turned drums, I still pulled hard to the right with repeated stops, then got severe fade. I think this is because with any variance in the thickness of the drums after turning each drum dissipates the heat at a different rate, but I'm no engineer so that's just my guess. Anyway, that's gone now, the pulling and fading both. I like to drive my '65 Imperial a lot, both to and from work, and on trips of up to another state or two; my wife and I have driven it to the Monster Mopar twice now, that adds up to about 480 both ways. So I'm very glad I did it. Possibly with brand new drums, or careful and minimal turning to as nearly identical thicknesses as possible of used ones, the pulling could be fixed, but I suspect the fading would still be a problem with longer use. But to each his own, I know a lot of the members are happy with their original setups and have no intention of switching. If you do want to switch, I can recommend the AAJ setup, that's why I linked to it early in this thread.

Bill & Kathi Parker, South Central Indiana
'60 Chrysler Saratoga kustom; '62 Plymouth Max Wedge; '64 Dart convertible; '65 Barracuda \6; '65 Imperial; '68 Barracuda FB 340-S; '69 Barracuda FB now 360; '70 Challenger now 440; '72 Cuda '340