IML: My in-digestion is over

Checking back in, folks, after two weeks on "Digest" mode.

I was away from my 'puter for 2 weeks, and came back to find 32 "digest"
postings from the IML received in my absence. Each one has about 200 lines
of type to read, most of it unintelligible gobble-de-gook and endless
repetition.

As the good little boy I was raised to be, I began to scroll through it all,
looking for anything of interest to me or that I could help with.

I soon gave it up, as the great majority of our members are neglecting to
trim their posts (and I have been guilty too, I admit), plus about half of
you are posting in HTML instead of plain text. This makes the digest
UNREADABLE - with formatting gibberish mixed into the text of the messages.

If anyone reading this is not familiar with how to post in plain text, I can
perhaps help by giving a step by step instruction to those who use Microsoft
"Outlook" as their e-mail program:

On the top of your main e-mail page (NOT the message composition page),
click on "Tools", then "Options", then "Mail Format", then scroll down
through the suggestions until you find "Plain Text" (the third choice on my
list).  Select that, then click on "Apply" at the bottom of the diagram.

There, you've done it; all the folks trying to wade through the murk of the
IML Digest format will thank you profusely!

I believe most of the other e-mail programs have very similar methods for
posting in plain text, but perhaps others can contribute definitive steps
here.

As for trimming your posts, don't simply hit "reply" when you want to
respond to a posting.   After you hit "reply", PLEASE drag your cursor over
the text that is NOT essential to the understanding of your contribution -
when you have the chaff thus highlighted, hit your "delete" key and you will
save countless hours for people reading through our postings.

Also, while you're at it, be careful about the subject line - many of the
folks who are hitting "reply" should be starting a new thread -as they are
inputting on a totally different subject than that of the message they are
"replying" to.

Thanks, I'm crawling back in my cage now.

If anyone has been looking for me since October 1, speak up (directly to me
at dickb@xxxxxxxxx if you wish.)

Dick Benjamin (not an IMP-cop, but sometimes I play at being one).