Re: IML: HP Manifolds do not fit Imperial

Re: IML: HP Manifolds do not fit Imperial

The C body driver's side HP manifold is unique to C bodies. I am almost certain Imperials are included in this group since the steering box is the same, IIRC. The passenger side is the same for all HP manifolds that are not center dump. I frankly have never seen a center dump HP manifold. I have used HP manifolds on heavy Cbodies and like them. If you want a good tri-Y type manifold, the Shumacher Creative will work fine in all of the C Bodies I have tried -- 74 - 75 Imp, 76 - 78 NYB. They have a great comparison on their web site of their headers vs all out competition headers on a drag car -- they are amazingly close. Ceramic coated, the Shumacher headers are about $750. I now have a 78 NYB coupe with a 400 and Hooker Super Comps. Don't ask me the number because they were on the car when I got it. They are holding up okay, but took a lot of dents to make them work. They also heat the steering column and floor board. I am assembling a 440 for a 77 NYB coupe with Shumachers that are ceramic coated. Look nice, but I think you are paying a lot for looks and minimal performance gains over the HP manifolds.

My preference after all of this is the HP's. I think these, ceramic coated, deliver highly increased exhaust efficiency without the contortions of headers and their inherent quirks. Face it, our C body engines rarely run over 5,500 rpm, so the effectiveness of high end headers may not ever be seen. HP manifolds sell for about $175 per pair for good manifolds. I take the ones I am going to use to the machine shop to have them ground flat. I also use the truck gaskets, the ones with the shield for the lower lip of the valve cover gasket.

Henry
Rob McCall wrote:
Kenyon,

The HP manifolds I have for my '67 are the C-body HP ones.  They are rear
dump, not center.  They look very similar to the upswept B-body HP manifolds
that are available reproduction from Year One.  YO is selling the pair for
$299.  I believe the outlet on the C-body piece is angled slightly different
than the B/E-body piece, but the B/E one may work as long as it is not
emptying into the steering column.  The price for the repro pair seems
reasonable to me, but I might just be jaded from hunting down expensive used
parts...

Hooker used to have a set of long tube headers that fit the fuselage
C-bodies.  They may fit your '72 Imperial.  TTI also makes a long tube
C-body header.  I have a set of their small block on my Barracuda and am
very happy with them.  They are not cheap, and the ceramic coating is even
more.  If it is a freshly rebuilt motor and the cam needs to be broken in,
DO NOT USE CERAMIC HEADERS FOR ENGINE BREAK-IN.  You will destroy the pricey
coating.
I'm not sure where Corona is in relation to you, but it might be worth
checking out TTI. Otherwise search out a set of the C-body HP manifolds.
Rob McCall
'67 LeBaron