Sent: Friday, October 20, 2006 7:59 PM
Subject: IML: Restorable Imperials destroyed in derbies

John,

All the points you made are essentially correct and I would not dispute
them; however, it is the use of straight, rust-free cars from no-salt states
that makes one question the "thugs".
I myself have benefited from the availability of usable trim and interior or mechanical parts from a completely washed up and un-salvageable battered and rusted hulk. It is when I drive in to a noted salvage-yard here in Minnesota
that is known for its large stock of old cars (including some Imperials),
and see a truck that has just arrived from Arizona or Northern California
carrying 3-or-4 Imperials from the early to late sixties, all straight and
rust-free and loaded with options-- complete, restorable cars that have been purchased to sell to derby-guys-- and hear the yard-owner say, "What do YOU care--it just makes your car more rare and valuable!" The last time it was a '65 LeBaron with all options and
a '64 Crown Coupe--both beauitiful and complete cars. The '64 even had a
nearly perfect interior. The guy who was buying them wouldn't even consider selling parts he was taking off anyway-- he said it was less bother to just
toss everything in his dumpster and go on about his business. We asked for
permission to "dive" in the dumpster, but he wouldn't hear of it and tell
where it would be. This attitude lends ammunition to a negative attitude
towards these guys, giving credence to the opinion that they are
beauty-hating-and-destroying Neanderthals.
And I know-- the salvage-yard guy is in the business to make money, but
considering the rarity of parts for these limited-production beauties, a
program of advertising in the right places would surely bring in more via
piece-by-piece parts sales than a one-time sale of a complete car.

Kristian Oyen
1963 Imperial Crown Southampton 4-door
Etc
Etc