Re: IML: Old Gas & Gunk in tank disposal?

Re: IML: Old Gas & Gunk in tank disposal?

I then shut the car off when I heard it begin to start tapping. What I really need to do is get rid of that old gas and clean the gas tank out. How can I accomplish this? Can I drain the gas and do what with it? After it is gone where do I take the tank go get everything cleaned out?

I have run in to that same situation a few times. What I ended up doing was getting some empty five gallon metal cans from a local painter (not paint cans, but chemical cans) and draining the tank in to those then I took them to the city on hazardous waste recycling day. It is going to be a messy job. The old gas is going to stink, you are going to get it everywhere and the smell is going to linger for weeks but other than that it isn't a bad job..

There are kits to clean out your own tank and reseal it. I have always found it easier to take it to a local radiator shop and just have it boiled out and sealed. There will be a shop in your town that does it, but they don't all do it. Expect to pay around $100.

A few random thoughts on the subject:
There is a plug in the bottom of the tank that you can pull to drain it. Once your catch basin starts to get full just put the plug back in again. This has worked very well for me.

You may want to start this project this winter as you might find that you will have to send your sending unit off to a rebuilder and they aren't fast.

The J hooks that hold the tank up tend to be incredibly gunked up and rusted. If they don't come off easy just cut them. New ones are readily available at www.gastank.com (they have the sock filter as well). If you fight with your J hooks to get them off and end up breaking the tang they mount to you are in a world of hurt.

                                   Steve B.