Re: IML: Removing paint from a light lens

Re: IML: Removing paint from a light lens

You might want to try a product called Goo Gone available at (hardware/home
improvement stores) if the paint's not been on there for too long, or maybe
mineral spirits (which still might damage the plastic but won't be as harsh
as lacquer thinner).

Better idea: Is it a smooth lens (versus one with a fluted surface)? Then
just try polishing compound on a terrycloth washcloth (or even a
toothbrush), or perhaps a scratch-remover type of wax product. Any mild
abrasive like that should be able to remove the paint (with a decent amount
of rubbing) without harming the lens. Might even freshen up the lens nicely!

Let us know what works! Hopefully this lens is common to every GM car for 10
years and the worst you'll need to do is replace it.

And when you get your Imperial painted, remove the lenses and trim yourself
before you deliver the car to the shop. That's what I did, then I reattached
the taillamps and license plate (to wherever I could mount it temporarily)
and had a friend drive in front of me. Once there, I took the taillamps and
plate off again and left the naked car for its rejuvenation.

It was fun, and it made me feel like I did it myself (with the enormous help
of my best friend, a shared experience I'll never forget).

Chris in LA