IML: UNLEADED FUEL

I just consulted Bill Weertman, Chrysler's Chief Engineer of Engines in the 1970's) regarding his fuel recommendation for the 1968 Dodge Charger that I am restoring. (I also have a 1982 Imperial.) Here's Bill's answer and recommendation:

"Induction hardened exhaust valve seats went into production on the 1972 six-cylinder RG engines and spread to all engines the following year so the 383 LB V8 in your 1968 Charger definitely has the prior non-hardened seats.

The recommendation of the engine lab for owners of older cars at the time of the changeover was that low speed driving would be OK with no-lead fuel but for high speed expressway driving a lead (or lead equivalent) additive
should be added with each fillup.

You might give the engine a compression check every now and then to see if everything is OK."

Burt Bouwkamp