Re: IML: hardened seats and such

In response to larger valves: Changing to larger valves in the early head, won't matter much at all, as the valve size changed with the head casting, and port size. The larger valves came about for two major reasons,Performance, and then later, Emissions.No question, hardened valve seats are a must, at valve job time, but after that, I think that your  improvements become immeasurable. If the heads were bad enough, the valve job would certainly help performance, after bringing compression back to spec, and removing carbon deposits on valve stems, and combustion chambers. Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

From: "Frederick Joslin" <fljoslin@xxxxxxxx>

In addition to hardened seats I would strongly recommend going to the 1.74" exhaust valves from the 1.6". There was a reason that Mopar made this change to all of their Big Block heads.

I did this on a 1966 383 in a Newport. The hardened seats should be easier to find as should the valves and you will get improved performance.