Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 2:13 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Headlamp Switch Trouble shooting

Dan,

First off, the easy one: the backup lights. If only one backup light fails to illuminate, it's one of the following (in order or likelihood and ease of checking):

1.) The bulb is burned out (replace the bulb).
2.) The socket is dirty, corroded or damaged (remove the bulb and look, and if it's lightly corroded, a little sandpaper rub inside might fix it). 3.) The wiring is somehow faulty (not that hard to troubleshoot when you know one light is good, as it's limited to wiring near the non-functioning lamp then).

The headlamps and dash lights use the same switch but you might have two different problems: 1.) a blown fuse or faulty headlamp switch (for the overall lack of lights) and 2.) a dirty rheostat (for the dash lights, and there is plenty about this on the website).

There is a chance that something (like in improper attempt at a jump start) blew every single lightbulb in the car (all at once or over time) but I doubt it.

Let's solve your exterior lights problem first (then move on to the dash lights). Start with these questions:

1.) Do any exterior lamps come on with the headlamp switch in the parking-lamp (center) position? (Check taillamps and the front parking lamps, which are the lower white bulbs (I believe) in the corners of each front fender (the lamps in the front bumper are only for turn signals). 2.) Do any come on with the headlamp switch in the headlamps position (toggle fully up)? 3.) Does stepping on the floor-mounted dimmer switch a few times help? (If the taillamps are lighted in either question #1 or #2, this is a likely culprit). 4.) Are the headlamp and taillamp fuses blown? Even if it's not, trying replacing them with new fuses (of the correct amperage) and make sure the clips are secure. 5.) If none of these restore ANY lighting, it's probably time to take out the instrument bezel (tape the top of the steering column first and follow the instructions in the FSM) and test the wiring by bypassing the headlamp switch. Study the wiring diagram <http://imperialclub.com/Yr/1967/WiringDiagrams/index.htm> and note the pin-connections for the headlamp switch. If you don't feel comfy reading a wiring diagram and doing this, let me know and maybe I can walk you through this in more detail offlist.

That's all I can offer for now. Let us know what you find, please!

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon