Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2006 10:29 AM
Subject: RE: IML: '65 engine choice - economics likely to decide?

Don't forget that the in the original post I believe that the owner wanted to pull a rather large trailer with his Imperial so the performance issue is real although not for wheelies, but for towing.

However, I would guess that the cam, torque converter, cooling and rear end choices have more bearing on towing capabilities than the difference between a 413 and a 440.

If I was setting up an engine for towing I would go with the most cubes, the lowest compression practical and forged pistons for durability. These choices favor a 440.