Re: IML: Lead Additive

From what I remember, 1955 was the last year for the hardened seats. The 354 in 1956 was the first one to require leaded gasoline, but who would of thought that anyone would have to state that. It seemed like lead was here to stay.

Paul W.

-----Original Message-----
From: northburt@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 7:07 AM
Subject: Re: IML: Lead Additive

You are right. When I started at Chrysler in 1949 all engines had steel exhaust valve seat inserts that were pressed into the cylinder head. Continued experience with gasoline with the tetraethyl lead additive showed us that we could eliminate the hardened valve seat and save this money.
(Apparently, the lead deposits provided a kind of a lubricant between the valve face and the valve seat.) I don't remember the year that we removed the steel valve seat inserts.

The phase out of lead in automotive gasoline started in 1976 and was completed by 1986. It was illegal to put tetraethyl lead in gasoline after 1985.

Burt Bouwkamp

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ernie Stepney" <estepney@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2006 7:52 PM

Flathead sixes from at least 1938, exhaust only, maybe earlier. 300D
392's had hardened exhaust replaceable seats as well.

Ernie and The Black Bitc_!!