IML: 81-83 Radio questions

Ok,

My factory speakers are SHOT, completely, so those need to be replaced ASAP, but mainly in this topic I'm wondering about the radio itself. Currently, it sounds terrible, but after I get new speakers, theoretically I'm thinking it should sound pretty clear, right? I'd like to accomplish audiophile, or near-audiophile sound with my FACTORY stereo, and new after-market speakers. Think it can be done?

I'm considering taking the original radio out and refurbing it to the best of my ability, OR if somebody here is kind enough to sell me one, that would be great. I like the Quartz radio's that the 82 and 83 had as an option, but think that maybe I should keep my car original.. I'd surely consider buying one of the Quartz though, it looks factory and after all, i can always re-install my original radio if i want to.

Or, if anybody has an '81 radio in good working condition, maybe i'd buy it from them.

If anybody has one they're willing to part with, let me know, and any tips or suggestions would be great. I'm just trying to stick with the factory stereo (or one of the factory stereos from 81-83) and achieve good clear sound quality, in order to both listen to FM radio as well as use an iPod through a high-quality FM modulator that seems to work quite well.

Thanks much!