RE: IML: '81 WE'VE GOT PROBLEMS...

The most likely situation is that yours is a backyard conversion.
Typically, a savvy guy with some mechanical skills will find a mid-80s 5th
Avenue or New Yorker in a wrecking yard and rob all the engine management
stuff off it. Both cars used basically the same engine as the 81 Imperial.
While everything in the fuel system from the fuel tank to the exhaust pipe
and the complete ignition system from the distributor to all the electrical
harnesses and the dash electronics is supposed to be changed in the
conversion, one can Mickey-Mouse around all that and get the car running
with just the fuel pump, the intake assembly complete with carburetor etc,
and the spark control computer from the New Yorker; that will get the car
running.

It won't pass inspection in CA, but if you don't live in a fussy state, and
it seems to run OK, I'd just leave it alone.  You won't get the performance
or economy of the EFI system, but you'll have a lot less headaches when it
comes time to fix something!  When you need engine management parts, just
tell the man it's an '83 New Yorker and chances are you'll get the right
stuff.

Regarding your radio, the power booster/amplifier is not compatible unless
you replace the current radio with one out of an 81 (Not quartz lock).   If
you put the later radio in, you also have to change the power booster.  You
can get a radio out of one of those mid 80s New Yorkers or 5th Avenues and
take the power booster with it - then you should have very good sound.

Dick Benjamin