Re: IML: '65 413 engine codes

Hola Class

Now you guys are speaking enough for me to reply.

If you happen to have a 1959 to 1966 Imperial and you want more from it while keeping it appearing as the other Imperials when you open the hood or idle, then ...

1 ... go for dual exhaust using the same diam as the inside of the exh manifolds  using an "H" from one side to the other at the engine to bell housing notch.  In keeping with the Imperial County Club hushness use long mufflers and resonators on the outside of the frame next to the gas tank area.

2 ... for some more power and etc do the same as above but use an "X" in front of the mufflers.

This #1 and #2 part can be done on any year of Imperial for better power and MPG figures.

3 ... Use the #2 option and 1972 to 1978 HP center dump manifolds (  http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustManifolds/Dodge/PickupFullSize/PLP1390041/67558 ).

Because of the same diam, the "X" and these manifolds; your MPG figures along with power/ response has just jumped with your heavy Imperial.  It will have the suddle bump, bump, bump, bump of the 413 or 440 and be as quite as an Imperial should be.

If you feel that you can not settle for this easy horse power gain and the engine is nearing an overhaul any ole way then you have laid the foundation for the future.

In yester-year the Chrysler single 4 bbl 300's with the same engine had a different spec'd cam than say a 1964 Imperial with the same size 413 or 1966 440 in a Dodge.  They had a duration up in the 260 degree area instead of 252 and a lift of 0.4-- whatever instead of 0.389.  MoPar has so liked this spec'd cam that if you call MoPar Performance at 1-888-528-4367 and ask them about better driving performance of your Imperial they will tell you number P4286675 ( 260/260 and 0.430" lift ) is the way to go better.

Add number 3 and the P4286675 cam and you are going to be amazed with the way it jumps to the Country Club and the revue committee has no clue.

But wait, there is more that you can do.  The number P4120437 Porting Template from them is said to add 20 hp to the package.

Do not port your heads.  Find a set of 1976 - 1978 #452 heads and do them. They say the mid range effect of these heads are awesome even before you play with them.

Just to re-cap.  The best is a #3 exhaust system, the P4286675 cam, and the #452 heads that have been porting.  If you enhance your 1959 to 1966 Imperial this way, you will have better fuel mileage, better driving response and about 390 - 400 Imperial style hp.

If your seven blade thermo clutch fan is not the 18 inch one, change it.  If you have the first series alternator with the 3 1/2" pulley, keep it. The newer ones of the middle 60's or newer had a OEM 2 1/2" diam that is the keeper ( vs 2 inch ).

To some of you this is too much since the Imperial Division did not issue the car this way.  And to some of you this is what you have been waiting for.

Uncle Rodger & Aunt Gabby
COS

ps

if you would like the template, just email me ( not the club ) and I'll sent ya one.