Re: IML: Diesel Imps

In the middle eastern countries and other asian countries it was popular to swap Isuzu 4 cylinder powertrains into full sized american cars..My friend said taxis in (I forget what exact country he said) often were late seventees and mid eightees Chevy Impalas with this type of drivetrains in them..slow to accelerate but economical and bulletproof!....Myself my everyday summer driver and parts chaser is a 1969 Oldsmobilee VistaCruiser wagon which I dropped a 1986 Chevy 6.2L diesel with a 700R4 4 speed overdrive trans!... a great ride with plenty of power and over 30 Miles per Gallon...can't beat that!..

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2006 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: IML: Diesel Imps

> From: sosmi@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: IML: Diesel Imps
>
> In a discussion, with an OLD friend, he said he had a ride in a
> early-mid 60's Imp. in a MID EAST country, and he was quite
> certain that the Imperial taxi was diesel powered, it was a manual
> floor shift,as he stated. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard
> of a factory diesel Imp.?Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

   Sounds like it was at least a whole powertrain swap. It also might have
been an Imperial body dropped on the complete chassis and powertrain of
something else. In the early '60s diesels were not machines with refined
character - nobody would have considered them for an Imperial powerplant.
       -Kle.
       '69 Crown 4DHT