From: Christopher H
To: IML (main)
Sent: 11/19/2006 10:59:31 PM
Subject: Re: IML: "trunk flight tire trunk"

What Anthony seems to be referring to is called the Flitesweep decklid, and it was optional in 1957 through 1963 on any Imperial model, with the exception of 1962, in which is was not available (though you often see it added, either by dealers or subsequent owners over the years to these models... popular demand brought it back for one last year, 1963). Here?s a pic from 1957:

http://imperialclub.com/Yr/1957/FactoryPromos/index.htm

If you have a hump on your trunk on a later model like yours (1975), it was something done in the aftermarket and added by the dealer (or a body shop) to make it look like a Lincoln Continental Mark series. (I?d love to see a picture of this! A neighbor when I was growing up had a 1973 LTD with an opera window and fake tire hump added by the dealer...it always amused me because the little old lady who drove the car seemed so p rim and her car seemed a little flamboyant, even in nunlike white with black vinyl roof.) I would find such a period-appropriate customizing detail like this kinda cool today since it?s been on the car since it was delivered new, even if it is not factory-original.

By the way, technically an accessory is something added after the car is built (by a dealer, owner, etc.), whereas extra-cost factory-installed equipment is called an option, though people and even carmakers have loosely used the term accessory when they mean option over the years. And it?s shocking the things you can add at the dealer level through the 1970s, even power steering. Fuzzy dice or dealer-added air conditioning would be an accessory. Aftermarket (non-Mopar) items would be accessories. Floor mats could be either, but often the factory ones looked different than ones added afterwards. Anything that shows up on the original factory price sticker at extra cost is an option.

That said, I?m not sure I understand Anthony?s question. Few factory optio ns (since you are ?not talking about aftermarket stuff?) ever detract from the value of an Imperial, but rims, gold packages, woodgrain dashes (the kind of stuff you see added to modern Chrysler 300s to pimp them out and jack up the price at the dealer level today) were not factory options (or even common dealer add-ons back then). Wood trim either came standard in a given year (1965-67) or it didn?t. There were no wheel or even wheel cover options from 1957-75, though in some years LeBarons had more elaborate standard wheel covers than Crowns and Customs. Two-tone paint was not offered after 1956. Upholstery is, of course, a factory-installed selection. Well-equipped cars tend to be more desirable than low-option cars, but even a low-option Imperial is nicely equipped and sometimes the rarity of a low-option car makes it appealing just because it is unusual. But pretty much every Imperial option ever offered by the factory was done tastefully, unless you don?t happen to like the look of the Flitesweep decklid any more than you pre fer certain colors over others.

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon