IML: Cutting into '81 dash?

Under the driver side speaker hole, there's some plastic housing of some kind probably for either the dashboard wiring, or maybe the air conditioning vents, somebody here could probably tell me. Anyway, i've got some speakers I want to install but they are too deep. Would it be a bad idea to cut into the plastic to remove some of it? If it's part of the vent system than it's an obvious no, but if it's just wiring behind it than maybe it's ok? I need some advice here. My buddy wants to come over to help me install the speakers tonight but I'm not sure what I should do ...

I could also use some risers to get the speaker up higher so it would fit, but then i don't think the dash panel would fit over them, not sure.