Re: IML: 67 Driver Door Window

Title: Re: IML: 67 Driver Door Window
Ken,

There are no “clips” I can think of. If you can move the window manually, the gear in the motor is likely broken. I think this is the nylon gear, so do an archive search on the website (search “windows” or “power windows”) and you should find lots of discussion about it.

The door is easy to disassemble. It’s not “ripping apart” by any measure. You unscrew the armrest from underneath, unscrew the inside door handle (and vent window crank, if yours are manual...both use an Allen wrench), unscrew the lock plunger cover by hand, and remove the one screw in the power window panel (revealed when you took the door handle off).

The lower panel is held in by clips all around the edge (pull/pry sharply but carefully with your fingers and the clips will release from their holes in the door), and the upper panel uses a few more clips along the sides, and then lifts upward from the window sill, over the lock plunger. It only takes about five minutes at a relaxing pace. You’ll need to angle the power window panel out of its well and then let it hang there.

Be gentle when removing the clear plastic sheet that covers the door so you can re-affix it nicely later (you can probably just peel back the bottom half). It’s a necessary moisture guard and will protect the fiberboard backing of your door trim.

If you need to remove the window motor (which you will, it seems), the most important thing to remember is to raise the window and keep it raised. If it falls, not only is it heavy, but its mechanism is like a giant scissors. I sometimes use a rubber wedge or two between the window glass and the window sill opening, but it has to be grippy enough to hold the window up. Once the window is safely propped up, you can detach the motor from the regulator from inside the door (note: this is when the window will no longer be held up by its own mechanism, so be careful and pay attention), and then unbolt the motor from the door (three screws all visible with the door trim now removed).

If repairing the motor is beyond you, set is aside so someone else can rebuild it and find yourself a replacement. Nearly every Chrysler product up the the 1990s uses the same motor. Again, do an archive search and read up on it.

Hope this helps!

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon