IML: '56 Carb Idle Secondary Issue

Imperialists,

    My '56 w/354 and Carter 4 barrel has an idle kicker, for the A/C I am speculating, which does not have any electrical connections, vacuum connections or ports I see,  nor any direct heat actuation beyond radiant temperature of motor, and is spring actuated as the rubber boot which formerly housed the 'push spring' (it would have to 'push' the idle arm bar to increase idle:  this by observation) is gone and has exposed this outer spring.  It looks to be a small sealed vacuum chamber of some sort.  What AM I looking at? Thank you in advance for any help.

Respectfully,

ybshore