Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 8:12 PM
Subject: Re: IML: dual point distributor questions

Hi Dan,
The main reason for dual points is to increase dwell time of the coil which in turn will create a hotter spark from the coil when they open. As far as adjusting the points, if I remember correctly Mallory didn't have an external adjustment like Accel had on their dual point distributors. You  can adjust them with the engine off by running each set up on to the high point of one of the lobes on the distributor shaft and using a feeler gauge to adjust them. I always preferred to set the dwell on them by blocking off one set with a matchbook cover and cranking the engine over to adjust them individually to their proper dwell specs. If it was my car, I would toss the distributor over my left shoulder and install a Chrysler electronic ignition kit and forget about points forever. Unless the engine is modified, it will only use as much spark as it needs to fire the plugs and a dual point distributor is really unnecessary.
Stevan Miner
Miner Auto Service
Winnebago MN