Re: IML: 73 Thermoquad Hell!

Before you go with the Edelbrock you must realize there are tradeoffs.  Start with the fact that your TQ is a spreadbore and you almost guaranteed have a spreadbore manifold.  The Edelbrock is an AFB clone and is a squarebore.  You will lose the fuel economy in the primaries.  You will lose the power on demand of those great, big, honking secondaries.  You will lose the efficient fuel distribution of the OEM design.  The spacer/adaptor height may have an impact on hood clearance unless you are also prepared to change your air cleaner assembly.  You may end up with a flat spot off idle that you can't correct.  Did I mention linkage?  Kickdown?  Loss of power due to high underhood temperature and an all-aluminum carb body resulting in hotter fuel/air charge to the cylinders?  Just because it bolts on does not mean you can install and forget about it.  Your $250 (new) replacement carb could cost a lot more than that.

It's kind of like reverting to drum brakes because drums are simpler and you can't make the disc brakes work right.  What do you do?  You take it to the expert and pay to have it done.

If you still have a few dollars in your pocket, I recommend you contact the recognized guru of TQs and see what he can do for you.  I own a piece of his work, and it is a sight to behold.

http://www.thermoquads.com

Happy motoring,

David

'91 K-Imperial driver
'66 LeBaron dual air and every option known to man