Re: IML: cooling system flush questions

Dan, in many cases, the mud, and muck in the bottom of the block,is casting sand and fillers, from manufacturing the block, and heads.Of coarse there would also be particulate drop-out from coolants, and crummy tap water.As far as replacing the head freeze plugs, exhaust manifold removal, may leave you with exhaust leaks, and broken manifold studs. The factory fitted the manifolds with NO gaskets, when you re-install them, and use a gasket, it is possible to crack the manifold, or break a bolt ear off, so careful torquing of the manifold is important. If you choose to remove the heads, then I would have the latest mods done, ie: valve seats, bronze wall guides, and if budget permits, SS valves . And a .005" clean-up cut on the head gasket surface. If you wish to lower the CR ratio, re-assemble with Chrysler PN. 4349559, this will lower CR, by 1/2 ratio, and by all means, use new head bolts.I think, I covered all bases, if not someone will say so.Ya'll have a nice day, Dave---- ---------- Original message --------------
From: therichardsonfamily@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dave:

Those are the kind of tips I'm looking for.

Could I assume that the gunk most likely settled to the bottom (and back) of the block, and by flushing through those opened up freeze plugs I should get most of it out?

If that cleaned it out well enough, I still have the possibility that those head plugs could fail in the near future.  If that ended up happening, am I able to replace those plugs by just pulling the heads?  Then, am I safe to just put the heads back on (with new gaskets) without having to machine anything?  (of course a valve job would be a good idea at that time)

If replacing the head gasket without major machine work is easy enough, I think I would go with a solvent of some type.  Off-the-shelf at the local Napa store?  or something else?

I plan on spending the $30 for a new water pump anyway.  I would flush and then replace it.

Thanks again,

Dan Richardson
300L Family Heirloom