Re: IML: Transmission "whine"

Joe,

Item #1 is "the Highland Park Hummingbird," the characteristic sound of Chrysler's legendary gear-reduction high-speed starter. It is to be cherished!

Item #2 is not something I've encountered in any of my Mopars, from 1963 to the present. The only characteristic high-pitched sound while driving that I know of is a subtle "chord change" as a Torqueflite downshifts from 2nd into 1st as you approach a stop. There should be no significantly audible whine while driving, so I suspect you car might be singing about an impending problem or excessive wear to a bearing or gearset (such as the differential). If it's related to driving speed but not engine speed (without chaning accelerator-pedal pressure, downshift the car into 2nd at 35 mph and see if it changes pitch), you can pretty much rule out the transmission and focus on the rear end, wheel bearings, driveshaft/carrier, or even the tires.

Chris in LA
78 NYB Salon
67 Crown
and some others...