Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 11:34 PM
Subject: IML: rear-end/trans problems on '81

Alright, here's the scoop.

As i drive it to have the car looked at by the guy's at the 76 station a couple days ago (or, my grandmother rather, since she drove it over for me at the time)... she tells me that she had to let off the gas a bit for the car to shift.. and just a while ago I was driving it earlier this evening and i went over a dip in the road and I hear a loud sound coming from the rear-right side of the car, it sounded as if i had metal objects clanging around in the trunk. AFTER I heard that sound, the car would no longer shift, it would go to about 32 mph and i would hear the RPM's go high but no shifting.

After i parked the car, i checked underneath and i saw quite a few spots where it looked as though the trans leaked, but i checked and there's still fluid in it, the dip stick shows that it's in the "ok" area, although i was on a very slight incline...

I'm confused and worried at the same time, does anybody have any helpful tips for me on this? What could be the problem? Maybe the rear-end, since I heard that loud noise in the back end of it? After it happened i continued to hear a squeaking sound coming from the back as well.

Matt