Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2006 9:39 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Chris S's 67 Crown Convertible

Welcome, Chris!

First friendly bit of advice on posting is to include a relevant subject line in your email. You?ll get better response that way.

Nothing will soften a top. If it?s in decent shape and has been kept out of the sun, it should be ok even after 40 years, but four-decade-old vinyl is what it is, and if the fabric is done, it?s done. Prolonging its life is another story, and I am not a big fan of Armor All, but some vinyl protectant (try the Meguiar?s product made for vinyl and rubber) might defer some of the effects of aging as time marches on.

I would avoid operating the top when it?s cold out, or when the top is wet. Warming it up in the daytime sunshine (since Petaluma is not too cold yet) might make the top fabric more pliable.

Would love to see pix of the car. What color is it (paint, top, interior)? A 67 Crown Convertible?s always been a car I?d love to own. Congratulations on yours!

Chris in LA
67 Crown 4-door hardtop
78 NYB Salon