RE: IML: Greetings from new member, 1978 NYB

Title: Re: IML: Greetings from new member, 1978 NYB

Very nice car! I really like the road wheels. Welcome to the club.

Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2006 9:32 PM
To: IML (main)
Subject: Re: IML: Greetings from new member, 1978 NYB

Welcome to the neighborhood, Randy!

Beautiful car there, and thanks for sharing the photos. The color seems to be RF9 Augusta Green Metallic, and it’s a standard production paint choice (you will find this code on the “fender tag” under the hood near the radiator), though I don’t have figures on how many were built in this color. I am pretty sure I’ve seen at least one other in RF9, but it had the velour interior. Interesting that the original owner chose a black vinyl top and not a matching green one to go with that stunning interior. Very handsome car!

There is no belt for the power window operation, it’s a direct drive from the gear on the end of the motor to the window regulator mechanism, but the gear is nylon and known to break. A search of the archives and repair section should at least let you know it’s not an impossible (or even that difficult) fix, especially since nearly all Chryslers from the mid-1960s into the 1990s use the same window motor.

Your hesitation could be dirt in the fuel system (I assume your mechanic changed the filter, but even a new filter can clog again quickly if the car is recently out of hibernation), or a bad accelerator pump inside the carb (most evident by “bogging” under heavy throttle). My advice would be to try to keep the original carb and other equipment on the car and rebuild it as needed, rather than replacing it with aftermarket stuff. There is no reason your car, with its low mileage and history of good care, can’t be brought up to spec with the parts it was born with (or identical replacements, new or rebuilt). Start with a thorough tune-up and the other easy stuff. Amazing what catching up on routine maintenance and a little driving exercise will do to bring a car back to full stride!

Most of all, enjoy it! As you’ve found out, these are really wonderful cars to drive... Solid, good-handling and just full of presence on the road. Now you need to find some 8-tracks to play!

Happy NYBing!

Chris in LA
78 NYB Salon (18,000 miles)
67 Crown (124,000 miles, was my first classic nearly 20 years ago)