From: James [mailto: nyb@xxxxxxx]
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 09:07:52 -0700
Subject: Re: IML: distilled or soft water for the cooling system?

I'm curious about the basis for 'Skinned Knuckles' advice. There may be
some reason for using soft as opposed to distilled water hidden in
there, but from a chemist's perspective, the explanation is poor.
Properly distilled water should not have an 'abundance' of ions (for the
record, ions can be positively charged, too!). The only reason I can
see distilled water having an abundance of ions would be if the
distillation system used was dirty, or a poor choice of a condenser
material was used. Yes, distilled water is weakly acidic due to the
uptake of CO2 from the atmosphere and the formation of carbonic acid,
but this is again a weakly acidic system and in your cooling system will
be offset by the ability of antifreeze to act as a corrosion inhibitor.

For your radiator, I think the author's of 'Skinned Knuckles' forget
that although softened water contains fewer Ca++ and Mg+ ions, it can
still be full of all sorts of dissolved solids. Soft water only refers
to the type of dissolved solids, not the amount. Granted, the biggest
enemy in terms of adding tap water to your radiator is calcium carbonate
deposits, which obviously can't form as well with little Ca++ around.
From a corrosion perspective, adding softened water is really adding an
unknown quantity as its composition depends completely on the tap water
you started with, and that varies a lot from area to area. And, as I
said in an earlier post, the chloride stuffed into softened water by ion
exchange water softeners using sodium chloride is one of the worst
things you could consider adding.

So, although I'd love to hear if there's some good science behind
'Skinned Knuckles' recommendation, I'm going to stick to using a mixture
of antifreeze and distilled water, with the usual residence time of two
years in my cars.

James