Re: IML: Doing a trans tune up by myself

Re: IML: Doing a trans tune up by myself

Hi Matt! Just my 2-cents worth here......a long time back I changed the transmission screen/fluid/gasket myself while the car was up on jacks. Its not a HARD job, just a bit messy! (tranny fluid is VERY slippery!!!...of course)...as far as using a tray of some kind to hold all the fluid that is going to come spilling out (and that it will!) if I was doing that job again today I would get one of those heavy-plastic trays they use for mixing cement in! ..not the HUGE ones, I have one that is about 24x18 inches ( or thereabouts) and I got it at Lowe's (or Home Depot) for about $12.00! What I like about using THIS kind of tray is that once you loosen all the bolts around the perimiter of the tranny's bottom plate (and it was suggested to me that you loosen them a little at a time and work your way AROUND the perimiter of the plate so you don't possibly bend theplate by having one last bolt holding everything up), what will happen is the fluid will start leaking out from all around the edges of the plate.....sometimes you have to HELP it a little as even with the bolts all out, the gasket will hold it all together! Using this bigger tray I suggest allows ALL the fluids to go into the tray with room to spare! and you probably won't be moping up the garage or driveway floor afterwards!!
....There was a special gasket sealer I had gotten from the parts shop at the time but I don't remember just what it was anymore....someone on this list will, I am sure, mention it in the replies you are going to be getting! Back when I drained the tranny I did not also drain the torque converter (I didn't know about that back then!) so I can't give you details on that part....Dick Benjamin, Kenyon or Dave can, I am sure, give you detailed instructiona as to what to expect and how to drain the converter.....Good Luck!!!! Once its all done and put back together you will feel real proud of not only 'doing-it-yourself' but also for the $$$$$$ you just saved!!
Dan Melnik

---- Matthew Gill <mgill3@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hm, good call. I was told that for a rear-wheel drive car, it's
easier to reverse onto the ramps, rather than drive up onto them. The
mechanic sounded pretty certain that it should work OK, but maybe the
jack stands would be a better idea anyways, since that way i could
hold the car by the frame, if i need to do any work with the
suspension etc.

And what about a sealer on the gasket? Do you mean some type of fluid
to dip the gasket in or something, as a sealer?

Matt