Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 5:34 PM
Subject: IML: I'll do it myself

Ok, so i've decided to just do it all myself. I obviously can't flush it without a machine but i'm told by many people that having a little old fluid left really won't make a big difference. A buddy at work tells me that if i'm replacing the filter and gasket, and clean out the oil pan, there's no reason to have it flushed if i'm already cleaning out the pan anyways. I'll just take care of it on my own, and may end up doing another fluid change shortly after just to clear out even more of that older fluid. Wish me luck! I'll be in the garage most of the day tomorrow to get it taken care of, hopefully she's in good running shape afterward, minus the carbeurator that i need replaced.

Which brings me to another question, should a newbie like myself (never worked on a car in my life) even bother to attempt a carb replacement? I think it looks to complex for me with the hoses and other things running to it... kinda scary. I think my best bet is to have my good mechanic buddy do it for me, while i watch and learn... and try to lend a helping hand if i can.

By the way, i ordered one of those cool Imperial club shirts, all black with the big logo on the front, it'll be my car show shirt i suppose. Also ordered a real nice license plate frame with "IMPERIAL" engraved on the bottom of it... pretty neat. Let me know if any of you are interested in the company that can make them, they're chrome with the professional laser etching, totally custom for whatever you want. I didn't really like the imperialclub.com plate frame, looked a bit tacky with the white stick-on appearence.

Matt