Re: IML: doing it yourself

Good advice, thanks.
Matt

On Dec 6, 2006, at 11:08 PM, Kenyon Wills wrote:

--- Matthew Gill <mgill3@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I think my best
bet is to have my good mechanic buddy do it for me,
while i watch and learn... and try to lend a helping
hand if i can.

No no no,

Try to figure out a way to get your mechanic buddy to
mentor for you and look over your shoulder while YOU
do it.  I had a great mentor, and he helped me on the
20% hard part while I did the other 80% easy part.
double check that you have the tools required or the
money/will to pay for them and you're good to go.

They will serve you the rest of your life and are a
better investment than any hourly mechanic.

If your mechanic buddy asked you to mentor him at what
you do in life, what would you say?  If he says no,
find someone else - being humble enough to ask another
for help is in itself a humbling act, and you'll be
surprised how folks will jump at the chance to share
hard-won knowledge (if they're not creeps).

remember to disconnect the battery when you get into
the carb work....

-K

Kenyon Wills