Re: IML: Buffer

mopar413@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Why spend $165.00 for a buffer that is hard to handle. YOu can buy one for about $40.00 that does not turn up so fast and there is less chance of burning thu the paint.
I have to agree with this.  The Milwaukee buffer is an excellent tool, but since I'm only going to be buffing a car maybe once a year, I decided to try a cheap knock-off version from Harbor Freight Tools.  I paid about $25 for one and it works GREAT!  I did go to an automotive paint store and buy some 3M Wool Pads to use with it, along with the 3M Perfect-It III Rubbing Compound.

I was actually pretty impressed with the buffer I got from Harbor Freight.  It has a dial speed setting and a trigger start.  When you press the trigger, it comes up to speed slowly so you have better control.  The only complaint I have is that the speed dial is located where it's easy to bump without noticing you've changed it.  The handle can be attached at three different places, which is really nice.

The one I got from Harbor Freight is similar to this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90820
And another good option would be http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92623

Yes, these are NOT top quality tools by any means, but they most certainly are good enough for the occasional use that most of us DIYers need.  I was certainly impressed with the one I got, and I had low expectations.

Good luck!

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

Find Repair & Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More at The Imperial Bookshelf!

  My Collection of Imperials

1965 Imperial LeBaron
  1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
  1970 Imperial LeBaron