From: dickb@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 7:41 AM
Subject: RE: IML: 1960 2 door for sale cheap!

I'm sure this is not news to a lot in the old car hobby, but the meaning of
certain words is totally different back in the rust belt (basically east of
the Rockies, in my opinion, but don't argue with me, please).  I grew up on
the east coast, and spent quite a bit of time in Missouri and Illinois, so I
know a bit about this.

When someone from the rust belt says his car has "NO RUST!" he means that
there are no visible holes in the body that you can see on first inspection.
He does not mean what someone from the southwest means when he says no rust
(namely, that means that there is no rust - anywhere, and never was).   The
rust belt car may have been previously "repaired" (and you can only imagine
what that involved - I've seen newspaper stuffed into holes, then plastered
over with bondo, then painted nicely, good looking until you hit the first
bad pothole).   The rust may be only in the floor boards, or only on the
frame rails up over the rear wheels etc.  I once worked on a convertible
from Florida that was a "Guaranteed no rust car" which calved off a large
chunk of bondo from behind the rear wheel as I drove it up my driveway, and
upon inspection turned out to be just about ready to shed the whole last 3
feet of the car - the frame was rusted down to almost nothing left over the
rear axle kickup. You could grab the rear bumper and by lifting and pushing
down, you could see the gap between the trunk lid and the rear body panel
open and close from the frame flexing!

I bought a 1954 Packard out of Madison Wisconsin that looked really good in
pictures - original owner, low mileage (69K), no rust showing, original
paint, no body damage showing - no sign of any problems, until I loaded it
on my trailer to bring it home.  The front seat fell partly through the
floor onto the deck of my trailer.  By the time I got it home to California,
the frame had broken right in the middle of the car - I had to take it off
the trailer with my forklift.   I harvested the engine/trans and factory AC
unit, and took the rest to the crusher - nothing savable!

I have a friend who owns a wrecking yard in Missouri, and I've spent quite a
bit of time back there helping him sort and inventory what he has - most of
the cars in his yard are from the 80 and 90s now, and they are almost all in
there because of serious structural rust.  Wrecks are only maybe 10% of his
stock.  Most of the pickup trucks are broken in half just behind the cab.
The cars from the older years (he has stuff going back into the 30s) is
generally more sturdy, but even those are beyond anyone putting back on the
road again - ever!

So the bottom line is, don't buy a car based on what the seller says -
demand either a personal inspection, or get many, many detailed pictures of
every aspect of the car, including under the carpets, the chassis, and
especially the structural parts.  If a car is claimed to be a "southwestern
car", demand proof covering the car's whole life before you accept that
statement.

Dick Benjamin