Yeah i think i may have squeezed a lot of it out, i'm not gonna hold my breath on it keeping a seal so i may end up grabbing a gasket rather than trying to use that stuff again... we'll see. I only bought a quart of rear-end fluid, not realizing that it takes 4.4 pints (about 2 and a half quarts) so the car is still sitting on jacks until i can get a friend to run me over to grab some more fluid...

I'm sure nobody would suggest running the car with less than half of the rear end fluid in there?

Matt

On Dec 7, 2006, at 10:32 PM, john sadowski wrote:

I've never used any of this stuff. Seems like a lot of newer cars are built with sealers instead of real gaskets. It may be just me, but it seems just putting a gasket in there would have been easier. With a liquid sealer, it seems as though you would have a tendency to over tighten & squeeze most of the sealer out. Since its not under pressure, it may end up OK.

John
----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew Gill" <mgill3@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2006 6:45 PM
Subject: IML: Rear-end sealant

I sealed my rear end with this stuff that i had to squirt out of a tube, it was black and very sticky... on the back of the package it says to let it cure for 24 hours. I was disappointed that i won't be able to drive the car tonight.

Has anybody used this sort of sealant, and does it work well? When I removed the rear-end cover i noticed that it had a rubber gasket on it previously, but the man at Checker recommended the tube of guck that you spread around the whole thing and around the holes. Hopefully it holds a good seal.

I haven't even put the fluid in yet since it says to let it cure for 24 hours... i'll put the fluid in tomorrow evening and then i'll be able to drive it. Hopefully i have no leaks!