Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 3:01 PM
Subject: IML: Rear drum pulling made easy

This has come up before, and using the breaker bar
might be part of the problem?

Suggestion:  Grease up the threads of the drum removal
tool to reduce friction there.

Get a pneumatic impact gun - the type that the tire
place uses to spin on the lug nuts.  It will deliver
repeated impacts much faster in a torquing motion that
will break a very stubborn drum loose in no time.  The
heat trick and others have not seemed to satisfy as
consistently as using the air gun based on past
testimony here.

If you don't have a gun, you can reinstall the wheel,
take it to a tire place, and have them do it.
Reinstall the drum, tighten the nut down a little, and
drive a short ways home on it if your car is otherwise
mobile.  Once it's broken with the gun, the second
removal should not prove as difficult with hand tools
later.

DO NOT grease or lube the surfaces that were stuck
when you re-assemble.  You can clean with a wire brush
or super fine sandpaper only, but they rely on
friction to do their job.  They're just siezed right
now.

-Kenyon

--- Ron M <rfm10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mark,

Make sure the brake shoes are backed off as far as
possible.  There is
an adjustment on the back (inside) of the wheel.

My next suggestion would be to apply a little heat.
Apply it to wheel
to allow it to expand while the center of the hub
stays cool.  While
heating keep applying pressure with the puller.

Regards,

Ron

Mark Battesby wrote:

> Hey guys I own a 1961 imperial .I also own a 47
desotto. I have been
> trying to get the rear hub off the driver side
wheel . I bought a
> heavy duty puller and it wont budge . I have never
seen anything like
> this happen before I even used a 5 foot breaker
bar and all I can get
> is the whole wheel spins slightly . I feel like I
am breaking

--
Let's face it, the number of people around the world
in need of

response will be
shared with everyone. Private messages (and
attachments) for the
Administrators should be sent to
webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To UN-SUBSCRIBE, go to