Re: IML: Is it just me?

Hi Matt!...I must say that if I hadn't gotten started with having an Imperial as my 'daily driver' back in the early '70's, I really think I would have been a "DeSoto' Kinda guy instead! I had a '56 DeSoto in 1967 that my parents had gotten me so I could drive back from Ft. Mamouth, NJ to home in Staten Island on weekends. For the sum of $99.00 I drove home (from Pennsylvania - I think the dealer was named REEDSMAN's and may still be there!) with a beautiful black and white one-owner '56 DeSoto that practically had not a scratch on it. Turns out the original owner had just stopped into the dealership to trade the car in on a new car of some kind and they had just put this car out on the lot! Of course, back then it was just anther 10 year old car and $99.00 was about what you would have expected it to cost. What a car! Now that I think about it, I don't think I even had heard of an IMPERIAL at that time...however, since I was in the Army at that time I was lucky to be able to afford gas for the car....good thing it had this little 2-bbl carb ! (and, of course, gas was only about 30 cents a gallon or so!) If only I could have grabbed up a few Imperials back then!!! ( or maybe Daytona's or Superbirds...then  I could afford to sell them all today and get Imperials for each year!! (and restore then too!)
Dan melnik

---- Matthew Gill <mgill3@xxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
AMEN TO THAT. I was just at the Mopar Nationals in Ohio just this
past August and there was a sea of Cuda's, Challengers, and the
like... *yawn*... Don't get me wrong, I love a big block Mopar as
much as anybody, but i was probably one of the only guys scouting out
Imperials. I think i saw a total of THREE in the ENTIRE event! It was
terrible! I have no idea why there weren't more Imperials... then
again they're rare like you said, but I was still disappointed. I was
also disappointed that I didn't see a single DeSoto.

It's so funny when people mistake them for a Cadillac, in fact
somebody did the same with my '81, a neighbor of mine asked "is that
a Cadillac?" Hah! PLEASE! Imperials have always been a notch ahead of
Cadillac. I hope Chrysler does well with the Imperial concept so that
people know about it, i think it'll be an in your face to Cadillac.
The 300C has sold so well, people seem to be paying attention to
Chrysler which is great, I hope the Imperial does very well, and I
know i'll be waiting to buy my own when i can afford it. Wonder what
the price will be? I read somewhere in the range of $60k

Matt