Re: IML: water pump pulley diameter?

One other small, but forgotten fact, the fan also turns faster on the A/C car, (with smaller pulley) there-by  moving a greater volume of air through the radiator, and A/C condenser. I guess them factory guys knew more than us. Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

From: therichardsonfamily@xxxxxxxxxxx
Oh boy, sometimes engineering just doesn't make sense!

The water pump pulley is definitely towards the front.  With a 1/16" clearance between it and the crank pulley, I would have to remove the wp pulley to change the power steering belt - that's OK with me.

One would think that having AC would require better cooling.  The FSM confirms a non AC water pump with 4.38" diam. - 10 vanes, and an AC water pump with 3.67" diam. - 6 vanes.  Why, oh why, would you have a smaller, fewer vaned water pump on a car with AC?

I have a new water pump sitting here that I was planning on installing (came with the car).  It is 4" diam. - 8 vanes.  One would assume that will be OK, no?

Back to the water pump pulley diameter question - anyone have a '67 that they could measure that pulley?  Thanks for the help.

Dan Richardson
300L Family Heirloom

From: sosmi@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dan, the smaller diameter pulley does turn faster, however the wp impeller for a/c cars are smaller diameter, and have less blades. A/C  pump 3.5"- 6 vanes, NON A/C 4.38"- 8 vanes, and if I can recall, the PS pump belt is first to go on . If the WP pulley is too close to the crank pulley, you'll have to remove it to change belts? Somebody with a 67 could tell. Dave.

From: therichardsonfamily@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dave & Dave:

The grind it down idea will work (and I already came up with that "dumb idea"), if I need to go that route.  I just want to confirm that a 6 & 1/2" diameter is correct.  Smaller diameter would turn the water pump faster.  With AC, I want to be sure of the measurements.

Other Dave - it is a single pulley, with an idler/tensioner pulley off on the passenger's side.

Dan Richardson
300L Family Heirloom

From: "Dave Wilker" <wilkerbeast01@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Dan

One idea (probably a dumb one) is to take your pretty new pulley to a machine shop and ask them to shave it down a bit for clearance. It may make a difference if your pulleys are not perfectly aligned (It might be easier to jump off) but like I said, it is an option. I have seen a few engines that have very little clearance between the pulleys, way less than the thickness of the belt, for instance.

David C. Wilker Jr.
USAF (RET)