Re: IML: overdrive torqueflite and stall speed

There were big block 400's that came with a lock-up converter at the end, probably hard to find now. mike becker
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 3:40 PM
Subject: Re: IML: overdrive torqueflite and stall speed

David, Thanks for the exchange, the lock-up converter was never offered for a B727 (Big block), as the big block ended in 78,(cars) there were some after that, for truck, and motor-home applications, but no lock-ups were used. The only way to get there is the 518, with modifications to fit a big block.
Its true, you would have to drive a lot to see the pay-back.One thing that could be done, if your looking for ALL small improvements, if your in the trans. for any reason see if a lower stall speed converter can be had. That could be worth 5-10% ,at high-way speeds,  especially if you have one thats 25 plus years old.I think the thoughts, the concerns, and the wishes, are great, but the fact is you have to accept the basic laws of physics, realize the limitations and ENJOY the moment!Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.
From: David Whitney <hazegreen66@xxxxxxxxx>
Thanks for the clarification.  Yes, it is the converter that slips and not the trans.  That's what converters do by design, making automatic transmissions possible.

My point was not to recommend adding a lock-up converter to an older 727.  It was to recommend using the late model 727s for which a lock-up converter is available (78 and up,  but memory may be failing me) if you are going to do the GV thing or a tranny that comes with a lock-up converter if you are going to do the 518 thing.  As previously noted, no way are you going to be able to do this without some aftermarket parts and you will probably have to do some chassis modification in addition to shortening the drive shaft.

Considering the gas savings vs. the expense, over 6 or so years you'll recoup your money if you drive the bejesus out of your Imperial.  For a Sunday driver, there is no recouping and the satisfaction is in having it and showing it off.

Happy motoring,

David

'91 K-Imperial driver
'66 LeBaron dual air and every option known to man