IML: How important is actual mileage? Not so much after a car turns 30.

IML: How important is actual mileage? Not so much after a car turns 30.

Good points, Paul.

Miles on new cars and miles on old cars are totally
different.  My biggest challenge on Imperials is
discerning the difference between 26k and 126k, with
the only real difference on some cars being the wear
to the right edge of the brake pedal rubber.  These
are well made cars that shrug off mileage better than
they  withstand being left to rot.

You're mashing the two together anyway, so it's like
trying to define a car that's "american made" nowadays
with all of the foreign parts going into domestic cars
and foreign brands that have plants in the USA and all
that.

Fastest and cheapest?  Swap the 26K instrument cluster
into whatever car you will use and call that the
"ghost of mileage past" without making any claims to
anyone but yourself and be done with it.  It's hard to
tell a poorly cared for 26k car from a well maintained
126k car anyway.

My 64 is under 30k and I value it because it's so
original and nice, not because of the mileage.  I had
to redo a bunch of parts that don't do well when a car
sits anyway, so it's not a totally 30k car anyway.

Now that we've been through this discussion, I
encourage you to mentally keep track of how many times
the car's actual mileage comes up in conversation from
someone else first and how important it seems to them.
 I predict that it will be pretty low on the list of
questions and will fall more into the conversational
part of the spectrum than crucial facts (crucial facts
can include explaining just what the hell kind of car
it IS to begin with), and that you can likely say
almost any mileage figure you like and not have it
affect the opinion of the person asking by all that
much.

If you do go to sell, your car will be bought on
emotion, not facts.  If someone likes it, and you
present the car's credentials as whatever they are
honestly (a 126k car with a 26k odo grafted in?), the
car will sell - supposing that it's also priced fairly
enough.

Good luck with the combining project.  My 1960
combination project sure hit the wall.  I'll finish it
one way or another, but make certain to steel yourself
and consider all of the time and energy it will take
before you defunct two cars and wind up with piles of
parts and no car to drive around.

Kenyon Wills