Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: IML: Brake Squeal

Chris,
You bight also check the linings for fine cracks or contamination. I don't know if you used bonded ( glued on shoes) or Riveted shoes.  I had a pair of bonded shoes which started to squeal after 100 miles. I first thought I might have gotten some grease on the shoes. That would cause them to grab or squeal. I checked the shoes for contamination  & sanded them slightly. The squeal was gone for about 15 miles then reappeared. After close examination I noticed fine crakes in the shoe material. I took the shoes back for replacement. No more squeal that has been over 300 miles now. If you have riveted shoes one or more rivets might not be tight. A simple test would be to take a piece of course sand paper & scuff the shoes again to see if the squealing stops for a short period of time. if it returns take the shoes back & get another set. Let us know what you find.
George