From: Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IML: power steering leak  - O rings
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:26:56 -0800 (PST)

--- Chris Strohmeyer <chrisstroh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Kenyan said...........
>
> 4.  "Bad o-rings"?  Anyone else that works on cars
> where you live?  That sounds like bad advice to me,
> but it may be out of context and part of other info
> that he gave?
>
> Aren't there 1 or 2 large o rings on the power
> steering pump that seals the
> reservoir can?
>
> Chris

True.  There are o-rings.  The way that the thing's
put together sorta precludes catastrophic fluid loss
as described in the letter posted here, but to address
the question:

If I were going to pay a mechanic to deal with this, I
would buy a replacement pump unit that comes with a
warranty so that I didn't have to worry about it.

Reason being that I don't agree with paying a mechanic
to only partially rebuild a pump for a labor charge
that could very likely equal or exceed the cost of a
replacement.  I would pay the rehab factory that will
give a warranty do that portion instead and get the
whole thing spec'd out by someone that does nothing
but.  That's what I'd do, anyway.

Also, a failed O-ring seal is highly unlikely to cause
the sort of rapid fluid loss described, so that's what
I was thinking based on the info given, but I wasn't
there.

Please use an o in my name.  I'm particular about
that.

-Kenyon