IML: re: '70 brakes and steering failure

From: TRACY <imperial@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: power steering leak and brake failure. help please 1970

Hi all
I would really appreciate some advise with my car probs at the mo, I am =
a women owner and not really up with allot of mechanical lingo so any =
help

  Kenyon's advice is sound as usual.

I expect the steering is a blown high-pressure line, I've had the dame thing happen to me in the past. Replacing all those lines is a good idea.

If the air noise from the brakes is a continuous hissing sound, then it's probably the brake booster, or a vacuum line (either in the engine compartment or behind the dashboard), like Kenyon said.

If the air noise is a 'whoosh' that only occurs when you step on the brakes, then you either have a leak, or the master cylinder is shot.

Look under the hood, all the way towards the firewall on the driver's side. attached to the front of the brake booster (the large diameter cylindrical thing Kenyon told you about) is a rusty and probably wet rectangular metal box with a spring clip holding on a lid with two large 'bumps'. Some skinny metal lines come out of the lower part. This is the brake master cylinder, and also the reservoir where brake fluid is added. Push the spring clip to one side and remove the lid. Inside, there are two chambers that should be full of fluid. If one (or both!) is empty or very low, then you have a brake fluid leak - either a brake line has failed, or a wheel cylinder or caliper has failed, and the fluid is all running out when you step on the brakes. On my '69, the big chamber in the master cylinder is for the front brakes, and the small chamber is for the rears. I expect it's the same in 1970s, but it might be diagonal... someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

If the air noise is a 'whoosh' when you step on the brakes (and silent otherwise), and the master cylinder is full, then you probably need a new master cylinder - the brakes might just need to be bled, but I strongly doubt it.

None of these parts (steering pump, steering lines, brake lines, master cylinder, brake booster) cost over $200US here in the States. I don't know how they are there, but they shouldn't be too bad.
       -Kle.
       '69 Crown 4DHT