Re: IML: Why Fins are crucial to good automotive design.

Re: IML: Why Fins are crucial to good automotive design.

I have an idea that Virgil missed a little in the wind tests. I have a '61 Chrysler Newport 2-dr. hdtp with the canted fins and have found out that at about 75mph the back end starts to have a small but noticable sideways sway.  A friend had a '60 Windsor 4-dr and it swayed also. I have driven a '62 that is the same car without the fins and it did not sway at all.  All Imperial fins are pretty much straight up and I have not seen this trait in them. I wonder if a '58 Studebaker President 2-dr hdtp which has a very similar fin does the same thing?