RE: IML: freeze plugs in head on '67 440cid?

OK, Dan, with compression results like that, the car should run just fine – if you can get at the bad freeze plugs without pulling the heads, as some have advised, I’d try to go that way too – it doesn’t  need a valve job right away.

Dick Benjamin

Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:58 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: freeze plugs in head on '67 440cid?

Dick:

I did check compression and had mostly 125ish #'s, with 2 @ 100 #'s, and 1 @ 90 #'s.  With no blue smoke (or any color), I figure the lower #'s could be sticky/dirty valves.  The engine (with the cooling system issues) hasn't been up to operating temp. for a long, long time.  Also, the timing chain needs to be replaced.  I'm going to test everything again after I can get the engine hot for a while with a good timing set on.

Thanks everyone, so much, for sharing your knowledge.  Wishing a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season to all!

Dan Richardson

300L Family Heirloom