Re: IML: Would you send $296 and sign this contract for work?

Well, they did ask you to kindly "sigh" when you signed their agreement!
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 1:56 PM
Subject: IML: Would you send $296 and sign this contract for work?

I would love to know the name, address and phone number of the person who can rebuild my 1959 Imperial fuel sending unit.  It will probably cost me $75 just to get it back again.

As I mentioned I called "Instrument Services, Inc" and I was told that most repairs were $140.  They told me that they would give me an estimate.   What I received was a very non mutual contract for their services to sign and send back to them along with immediate payment in full before they evan would began work.  How mutual is this contract when only they decide solely the validity of their own warrantee.  Demand complete payment before they even start a job.  And tell you that if you decide to not use their services they tack on an additional $25 to $50.

Quite frankly I have never seen such a one sided contract for services.  Usually companies will require a deposit with payment in full after completion.  After all how do I know when they will really start the job or if it will ever be even completed?  Would any of you Imperialists agree to these terms?

Here is the exact wording of their "estimate":

** ESTIMATE GOOD FOR 30 DAYS ONLY**

**Cosmetic work is optional and does not affect warranty**

**Shipping charges include the following Insurance on your gauges:              $500

**Please return a signed copy of this quote to the address above or fax to 815/*******.  Work will not be started until we receive a comp of this letter and payment for work.

**Instrument Services, Inc. warrants this restoration for one year from the date of the invoice.  We do not offer a "return for credit" policy, but reserve the right to inspect and warranty our work.  The warranty is void if the gauge has been handled improperly or damaged during installation or if hookup was done incorrectly.  We are not responsible for any expenses incurred in the removal and reinstallation of warranty items.  All warranty claims should be returned postage prepaid and accompanied by a copy of original invoice.
The validity of all claims shall be determined by instrument Services, Inc.

**Kindly sigh authorizing us to proceed with the work quoted above.  Payment is to be made prior to starting restoration by_________________________________.  (Incicate : Check, Money Order, Visa, MasterCard, Discover with expiration date and the three numbers on back of credit card.

**If you decide to have your gauges teturned unrestored, there will be an evaluation charge of $25.00 - $50.00 plus shipping..............

Thank you for your business and kind regards.

INSTRUMENT SERVICES INC.