Re: IML: Drum-Do or die

Ok guys well still the drums will not come off. Ive broken my second puller. The reason I was trying to pull all four drums off were because all four wheels were frozen and would not rotate. I put the car up on blocks. A friend of mine was able to get the front drums off without trouble. He then took the hub apart pulled the bearing etc. He has since moved away do to a job he took . I figured once I get the rear drums off I would see exactly how to put the front wheels back together. well the rear drums arnt coming off but at least now the wheels turn. I thought  would just put all the tires back on and drive it maybe that would loosen the rear drums. I put the bearings in the front back in the way I assumed they would go but one wont spin. Also there are some parts that I am not familar with . Like these washers that are two pressed together with a emery cloth type material inside. I looked and looked on the chrysler website for a diagram of a wheel bearing assembly but there is nothing no pictures of how it should look and how to put them in or nothing. I found everything else I could ever want to know but nothing on wheel bearings with a diagram. Does anyone have a picture or diagram that I can follow so that I put these back together right. Also there are two ring clips on both wheels where do they go . they look important  I dont see anything like that on the rear ? any information I would be gratefull

staffel@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Mark- Dick's advise is absolutely correct. I've had two experiences simnialr to your is the past decade, one on a friend's 49 Plymouth- took us three weekends of heating , Rust buster, and hub pulling till one moment- surprise- the drum popped! Persistence & mystery.

the other was with Clark Thomas on a 62 LeBaron we were preparing for transfer of caretaker. We discovered that the drum would 'stick' in one palce on rotation, and we worked  after many days on the spot it was 'free'- after reducing the shoe pressure against the drum to bare minimum. What we found when the drum finally popped- was the linings had detached from the shoes.  Maybe your linings are riveted and not bonded- but just wanted to mention that if the rivets popped- the 'loose brake lining' could be contributing to your problem. I had that happen on an old Chevy when I was a college kid-the linings were ruined by brake fluid- which 'cracked the lining'- and the linings came 'off their rivets'. .

Calif sounds great, but being on the east coast---  Best wishes for a happy holiday- and success!
Sherman

--
Sherman D. Taffel
Taffel Engineering/Taffel Vintage Motors