RE: IML: AW: Remove/reinstall 1959-66 BEWARE!

RE: IML: AW: Remove/reinstall 1959-66 BEWARE!

Hi Folks,

Had to chime in on this one.  By all means remove your windshield yourself if you like.  Installation can be very tricky though.  I had to remove the windshield in my '60 Crown because of rust under the stainless steel roof inserts.  The car looked to have had a NOS windshield that was installed in the 1970's after the original was vandalized.  It was a mint windshield.  After following the manual instructions, applying sealant on everything, we were three inches from finished and the windshield cracked.  A reproduction costs $1000.  It took me three hours to get the adhesive off the weatherstrip.  The seal was also like new but has a couple cuts in it now from our tools.  When I thought back I did not remember much sealant on the rubbber, but then I did not take it out.  The ironic part is that I though my Father and I could do the job more carefully.

I had a local place that does home installations come and do it and it was in 20 minutes later and perfect with no mess.  They said it was in such good shape no sealant was required.  The manual says you can add sealant around the edges but I went with what my local professionals said.  I am going to seal the back glass afterwords since those alway leak.  It cost me $250 for installation and I felt like an idiot after seeing these guys do it.  They had lubricants and very large suction cups and made it look easy.  If you are installing a used windshield go ahead and try it if you like.  I sure would not risk a high dollar piece of glass again myself.

Richard Burgess
'60 Crown

JAY D'ANGELO <cadij@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Good information, this I will try, thank you all.

Jay D'Angelo

> From: stadtapoachern@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: IML: AW: Remove/reinstall 1959-66 (and other?) windscreens yourself. SOOO EASY.
> Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:10:28 +0100
>
> Here is a picture where and how to open and save the weather-strip
>
> http://www.movit.de/images/imprgl3.jpg
>
> Dietmar Frensemeyer
> 1960 fds

View Athletes' Collections with Live Search. See it!