Re: IML: Airflow Imperials

Briefly, in the United States and Canada -

DeSoto Aitflow - 115.5" wheelbase, 6-cylinder,

Chrysler Airflow - 123" wheelbase, 8-cylinder - extra length in hood to fir
the lonhger 8-cylinder engine.

Chrysler Airflow Imperial - 128" wheelbase - 8-cylinder.  Rear axle moved
back and rear doors do not have dogleg.  Rear quarter windows also longer
and are two piece.

Chrysler Airflow Custom Imperial - 137.5" wheelbase - 8 cylinder.  Body
lengthened using front doors  from the coupe.

Chrysler Airflow Custom Imperial, model CW - 146.5" wheelbase - 8 cylinder.
Body by LeBaron with virtually no exterior panels shared with lesser
Airflows.   Has first 'production' curved one-piece windshield.

1934 Airflows were also the first cars to have 'waterfall' grilles.
Chrysler of Canada produced a 6-cylinder model CY Airflow in 1934.
Basically a DeSoto Airflow with a Chrysler grille, instrument panel,
nameplates and badges.

In Great Britain -

Chrysler Croydon Airflow - A DeSoto Airflow 6 with Chrysler nameplates and
badges.

Chrysler Heston Airflow - basically a Chrysler Airflow 8.

Chrysler Royal Airflow - basically a Chrysler Airflow Imperial 8.

Airflow sales were poor, and in Great Britain leftover 1934 Heston models,
CU, were sold as 1935 models by updating the grille and placing the letter
"L" after the model number, becoming CUL..  "L" was the engineering
department code for the 1934 model year.    And the Heston models (CU) not
sold in 1935 were marketed as 1936 models, with the letter "M" after the
model number.    The British 1936 Royal Airflows, C2, were leftover 1935
models, changed as above to become model C2M.

As for the Croydon Airflow, leftover 1934 model SE models became 1935 model
SEL.  True 1935 Airflow SG models were sold in Britain, and leftover cars
were sold as 1936 Croydon Airflows, model SGM.

Thus all British-assembled 1936 Airflow cars were actually leftover 1935 or
1934 models.

Bill
Vancouver, BC