Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2006 4:49 PM
Subject: IML: California black plates

This means that the car has been continuously registered in California since
the plate was issued (and from the letters on the plate we know it was
issued in 1968) - so the car has never been registered outside the state,
and has probably been registered continuously all those years - usually a
very good indication of good care, and typically by the original owner.

These plates were issued in California starting in 1963, and the last of
them was issued in early 1969 - then the color changed to blue with yellow
characters.

Since some in the IML may not have been around the last time this came up,
I've taken the liberty of posting your question to the list too, I hope
that's OK with you.

Dick Benjamin