From: cadij@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 6:34 AM
Subject: RE: IML: 64 Iml Cvt engine fire - need alt gauge

I don't know yet.  I don't think it was the carb.  They installed a new 1406, same as before and rewired everything.

However, when I picked it up, it still was flat spotting and backfiring when I give it more gas.  Got to be electrical.  I doubt it's the Pertronix ignition module, though.  Spent a lot of time researching and found that when they fail, they do so suddenly without any warning.

The timing is at 5 degrees BTC; I changed it from about 15.  I'm thinking the plugs and wires - sounds like a misfire to me.  I had this problem before and found that one of the spark plug boots had come loose and was barely making contact and on acceleration or turns, the engine would falter and pop.

I checked the connections before the fire, but perhaps one of the wires or plugs is bad and is causing a misfire.  I'll pick the car up again from the shop on Tuesday and I will replace the plug wires and switch to Autolite 85's.

Someone mentioned that the timing chain may have jumped.  I don't hot rod it, so I can't figure how that may have happened.

But, it idles steady as a rock and at slow feed on the gas, there is no problem.  Keep your fingers crossed for me - I hope it's the plugs and wires, cause that's a heck of a lot cheaper than alternatives.

Thanks all for the suggestions, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  (Would you believe it snowed in vegas last week?)

Jay D'Angelo
64 Iml Cvt
Las Vegas

Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 19:49:15 -0500
From: randalpark@xxxxxxx

I don't recall the actual cause of your fire. Can you briefly tell us again? Was it electrical, fuel, or power steering related?

Thanks!

Paul W.