Drooling carb (was Re: IML: Carter AFB running Question etc.)

Drooling carb (was Re: IML: Carter AFB running Question etc.)

There are two likely causes for the drooling carb, and I can't say which is more tedious.

One, you have a vacuum leak.  We have covered how to isolate them on this board before.

Two, in rebuilding and/or reassembling the carb, you have failed to clean or somehow obstructed an air bleed passage that governs the air/fuel mixture in the carb's primary fuel delivery circuit.  These passages are not adjustable and must remain clear (including proper clearance at the top of the carb beneath the air cleaner base) in order for the carb to perform its function as designed.

The primary circuit is nearly completely isolated from the idle circuit, so you idle fine.  Your carb is not responding properly to the suction created by manifold vacuum when you open the throttle plates while revving up to 2500 rpm.

My money's on the vacuum leak.  If you have a vacuum gauge, take a reading at idle and see if it's steady at or near 17 inches.  If it fluctuates or is below 14, you definitely have a vacuum leak in addition to whatever else may be happening.

Happy motoring,

David

'91 K-Imperial driver
'66 LeBaron dual air and every option known to man